bzip2 library (libbz2) not found or too old:

Everything about the installation and compilation

Moderator: feffer

bzip2 library (libbz2) not found or too old:

Postby deny » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:27 pm

good afternoon
i get a problem trying compiling partimage on a mandrake 10.0

configure: error: *** bzip2 library (libbz2) not found or too old: version 1.0.0 or more recent is need
[root@linux-pour-lesnuls partimage-0.6.4]# locate libbz2
/usr/lib/libbz2.so.1.0.0
/usr/lib/libbz2.so.1

/usr/lib is in my /etc/ld.so.conf file

thanks for all
deny

Postby DW » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:14 am

You need the header files of bzip2. Look for something like bzip2-devel-{versionnumber}.rpm for your distribution.
DW

Postby DW » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:29 am

... or download the source from http://www.digistar.com/bzip2/
DW

synaptic shows that BZIP2 installed is 1.0.5-3

Postby jeffbiss » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:01 pm

Hello,

There seems to be something wrong with the verification process during installation. I get the "configure: error: ***bzip2 library (libbz) not found or too old: version 1.0.0 or more recent is need" message yet synaptic package manager shows that 1.0.5-3 is installed and performing bzip2 -V shows that Version 1.0.5, 10-Dec-2007 is installed.

So, not being a Unix programmer, is there something in the configuration file that can be changed to have the process find the installed bzip2 application?

{ echo "$as_me:$LINENO: result: $ac_cv_lib_bz2_BZ2_bzopen" >&5
echo "${ECHO_T}$ac_cv_lib_bz2_BZ2_bzopen" >&6; }
if test $ac_cv_lib_bz2_BZ2_bzopen = yes; then
cat >>confdefs.h <<_ACEOF
#define HAVE_LIBBZ2 1
_ACEOF

LIBS="-lbz2 $LIBS"

else
{ { echo "$as_me:$LINENO: error: *** bzip2 library (libbz2) not found or too old: version 1.0.0 or more recent is need" >&5
echo "$as_me: error: *** bzip2 library (libbz2) not found or too old: version 1.0.0 or more recent is need" >&2;}
{ (exit 1); exit 1; }; }
fi

{ echo "$as_me:$LINENO: checking for newtCenteredWindow in -lnewt" >&5
echo $ECHO_N "checking for newtCenteredWindow in -lnewt... $ECHO_C" >&6; }
if test "${ac_cv_lib_newt_newtCenteredWindow+set}" = set; then
echo $ECHO_N "(cached) $ECHO_C" >&6
else
ac_check_lib_save_LIBS=$LIBS
LIBS="-lnewt $LIBS"
cat >conftest.$ac_ext <<_ACEOF
/* confdefs.h. */

Thanks for any help.
jeffbiss

Postby feffer » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:00 pm

There seems to be something wrong with the verification process during installation. I get the "configure: error: ***bzip2 library (libbz) not found or too old: version 1.0.0 or more recent is need" message yet synaptic package manager shows that 1.0.5-3 is installed and performing bzip2 -V shows that Version 1.0.5, 10-Dec-2007 is installed.

Partimage is not being actively developed, so this may be an issue. However, the first post in this thread concerned a compiling issue. Are you trying to complile partimage from sources? If so, and your distro repo has partimage in it, that might be the way to go. I'm using partimage on the latest debian systems and it has always installed painlessly from the repo package.

Despite its inactive development status, partimage has worked fine for me using linux and ext3. It may be problematic on ext4 though.

Regards,
feffer
feffer

Postby jeffbiss » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:01 pm

feffer,

Thanks for the post, especially about partimage not being actively developed, I didn't know that and didn't see it on the site. I downloaded from partimage's download page (http://sourceforge.net/projects/partima ... 2/download) and tried to install it. partimage was not provided with Ubuntu, as far as I can tell, as it isn't shown in synaptic.

I suppose I'll have to read about programming Unix to see if there's something I can change in the verification phase of the configure file, because bzip2 that is installed is a later version than that being requested.
jeffbiss

Postby feffer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:15 am

Before going any further with partimage, did you format your drive as ext4 before installing Ubuntu? If you did, partimage may not work. It is not supported on ext4. Please try another cloning/backup solution.

Also, if you have only one active OS on your machine, it doesn't make sense to install partimage, because the partition you are saving in partimage must be unmounted. This works fine if you run multiple OSes on a machine (dual boot). Also if you have 2 or more machines on your LAN, you can use partimage-server to have one clone the other. If you have a single machine with a single OS, try downloading and burning RescueCD (google it). It is a bootable CD with partimage and some other backup rescue tools on it.

OK if you're still reading and, you formatted as ext3, reiserfs etc, partimage will work just fine. In that case this should solve your issue:
partimage was not provided with Ubuntu, as far as I can tell, as it isn't shown in synaptic.
I'm running partimage on Ubuntu 9.04 and Kubuntu 9.10. Both were downloaded from the ubuntu "universe" repo, so I think its there and you should be able to install it. I normally install from the terminal rather than Synaptic, but really both should work. In the terminal try:
Code: Select all
apt-cache search partimage
If that returns info about partimage, then install it with:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update && apt-get install partimage

Please stop messing with the .bz2 file you downloaded from sourceforge. I'm sure it's OK, but why bother compiling from source when the app you want is already in the Ubuntu repo?

Good luck,
feffer
feffer

Postby jeffbiss » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:55 pm

feffer,

I checked my drive's format and it is ext3. I also found it using synaptic when IO searched universe, I didn't search there before I posted previously. I didn't understand the issues of backing up on unmounted volumes, but assume that I can use unmounted hard drives installed in my computer or even unmounted external USB drives, correct?

I have downloaded the rescue CD but haven't burnt it yet. I am also looking at other linux backup solutions that support USB drives.

Thanks for your help.
jeffbiss

Postby feffer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:20 pm

I didn't understand the issues of backing up on unmounted volumes, but assume that I can use unmounted hard drives installed in my computer or even unmounted external USB drives, correct?

I think you may have it backwards. The image to be saved (ie the source) must be unmounted. The place it is saved to (ie the destination) must be mounted. So for example you can't boot into Ubuntu on /dev/sda1, and then use partimage to save an image of /dev/sda1. To save an image of Ubuntu on /dev/sda1, you would have to boot your machine from somewhere else -- maybe linux installed on another partition or drive (dual booting) or from a booted disc like RescueCD.

jeffbiss, since you are new to linux and partimage, there is a more basic question to ask. What do you want to backup? Your data alone? Your Ubuntu system alone? Both your data and system? As an example, here is how I backup. I dual boot 2 linux systems and one windows XP. The linux systems are each on 10 GB partitions and windows has about 80 GB. In addition I have a separate /home partition for linux where all my linux data lives which is about 70 GB. I have partimage installed on both linuxes -- Ubuntu and Kubuntu. When Ubuntu is booted I can use partimage to clone an image of Kubuntu and visa-versa. If I'm about to make a serious change to my system, and worry that I might mess things up, I make an image first. This way I can restore the system if necessary.

On the other hand, my data is changing all the time and I want to have an up to date backup, so partimage would be a bad choice for the /home partition. I use rdiff-backup to save the data on /home each night. There are lots of other ways to do this as well.

What about windows? IMO Partimage is a poor choice for backing up Windows. It seems to be problematic, so I use Retrospect instead.

It may seem messy to be using 3 different backup methods, but I have not found any one that would do everything optimally. Hope this clears things up.

Regards,
feffer
feffer

Postby jeffbiss » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:02 pm

I did have that backwards, thanks for the clarification. That means that the rescueCD would be the way to go.

I'd like to create a backup image of my entire Ubuntu installation, for ease of restoration, and the data, so it seems that I'd do backups as you outline. Ubuntu is installed in a system that has three hard drives and the potential for connecting external USB drives, which should be accessible when I boot from the rescueCD.

I use Acronis (free from Western Digital) for my XP system, so I don't need partimage for that.
jeffbiss

Postby Janosch » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:43 am

I did use Synaptic Manager, and have installed libbz2-dev
Janosch

Return to Install